Sunday 9 November 2014

Remembrance Day Sunday 2014

Remembrance Day Poppies...
Lest We Forget
Today is Remembrance Sunday in the United Kingdom, the day we remember and commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts. And in some cases, as my own, around the world.

The poppy is key in this remembrance, we wear them around this time of year to show we remember, to show respect and to give us hope.

We don't usually have live poppies this time of year, the frost kills them off before now. But this year it's been rather mild and we have poppies growing in our garden. In the above photo are some of those poppies growing in our garden this Remembrance Sunday morning. I photographed them this morning.

This year there is a special installation of poppies around The Tower of London  for Remembrance Day. Remembrance Day is the 11th of November. In observance every year there is a two minute silence at 11am on the 11th day of November (11th month).

I was recently in London working near the Tower of London and I was lucky to get to see the Poppy installation. I could see it from my hotel room actually. Below are some photos I took on 22nd & 23rd of October 2014.

View from my hotel room in London. 
I was in London working for and covering The Charity Learning Consortium's annual awards ceremony and seminars. Amazing people and organization to work for.

Viewing the poppies. 
A closer view of the poppies
View of the poppies around The Tower of London, with the Tower Bridge in the background. 
Another view of the poppies around The Tower of London. 
Tower Poppies
A night time view of The Tower Poppies
I went back on October 28th to view the poppies again with family and friends, but it was too crowded to to really view or take any photos.
Crowds at The Tower of London viewing the Poppies on the 28th October 2014
In hindsight, I wish I'd photographed the crowd more, but at the time we had been stuck in the crowd for so long that all we wanted to do was get away. Shame, as it was a beautiful day. We went for a lovely Dim Sum in China Town instead. :-)

I leave you with a saluting poppy, photographed this Remembrance Sunday morning, in my front garden.

Poppy Salute
 (Note: To view images in this post larger just click on them and they open a bit larger.)

Click here for previous post about Guy Fawkes night fireworks across the Stroud Valley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment